Advantage of Private LessonsIndividual private lessons are simply the most effective method for students to improve their subject knowledge and greatly increase their test scores. (Click to learn more).
Standardized Tests Preparing to take a standardized test? With our professional guidance you will be fully prepared and greatly improve your chances of significantly increasing your test scores. (Click to learn more).
History of Tutors of Oxford The original Tutors of Oxford was co-founded in Hong Kong by Dr. Donnelly in 1993 and soon grew to become the territory's largest and most respected premium quality tutoring service. (Click to learn more)
Below are some of the most Frequently Asked Questions concerning private individual lessons.
Please click on the appropriate link below:
- Are lessons available online via Skype for students who live outside of Manhattan?
- What are your qualifications and teaching experience?
- Do you teach both the Math and Verbal sections of the standardized tests?
- What qualities should I look for when choosing a private tutor?
- What are the main advantages of private lessons?
- How do I arrange my first private lesson?
- What are your rates?
- Are discounts available?
- Where do lessons take place?
- How long is each lesson and how often do they take place?
- Do you have any testimonials from your current or previous students?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What is your refund policy?
- Are group classes available?
- Are intensive courses available?
- What is your teaching philosophy and methodology?
- Do you set homework or practice exercises at the end of each lesson?
- By how much can I expect to improve my test scores?
- Is there any obligation to me after trying the initial lesson?
- Do you provide free trial lessons?
Yes. Private lessons with Dr. Donnelly are available either online via Skype for those students living outside of the New York City area or in-person at our East Midtown location for those students living here in Manhattan. Dr. Donnelly considers Skype to be an excellent tool for tutoring students living all over the world. Teaching materials used during the lessons and homeworks are sent via email and lessons. Lesson fees can be made over the phone via all major credit cards.
Yes. Although Dr. Donnelly's Ph.D. from Oxford University was focused more on mathematics, his 20 years of experience tutoring students here in the U.S. and abroad has given him an extensive knowledge of all of the individual sections of each of the standardized tests.
Some students prefer to focus on either the math or the english sections of their particular exam. Others prefer to split their tutoring time among both sections on their particular test.
Dr. Donnelly customizes his private lessons for each student and hence, will select the optimal balance between studying the Math or English sections that is right for you.
This depends upon a number of factors including:
- the frequency and duration of the private lessons taken,
- the current academic level of the student,
- how much time and effort you are willing to put into your studies (and homework assignments)
If you are willing to work hard you can rest assured that with my expert guidance, you will maximize your chances of performing at your very best. (I've had many students who have increased their SAT scores by over 200 points in the Math section alone, for example)
Absolutely not. The student is under no obligation to sign up for further classes if he or she does not wish to do so, (although I find that the vast majority of new students are keen to reserve their regular time-slot after their initial lesson).
No. Preparing the initial lesson generally takes at least as much effort as for regular lessons, hence, they are charged at the regular rate.
The vast majority of new students are extremely pleased with the quality of the initial lesson and feel that they have received their money's worth. In fact, most of my new student's are very keen to immediately reserve their regular time slots to ensure its availability.
To learn more please select the relevant link below or contact Dr. Donnelly at